Micaela English ’08 Interviews Erika Bearman ’03

Erika Bearman ’03 is a consultant in communications and branding. She was most recently SVP of Global Communications for Oscar de la Renta LLC, a position she held for seven years. She now counts the luxury goods firm as one of her clients. Erika’s work in branding and digital strategy has been written about in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Vanity Fair and Vogue. In 2012, Erika was named to the “Vanity Fair International Best Dressed List.” 

Erika graduated from the College of the Holy Cross with a Bachelor of Arts in English. She has previously worked for Dior and Burberry. Erika is a founding member and an advisor in brand strategy on the new app Peanut. Peanut is an app designed to connect a mobile generation of like-minded women who are mothers. She resides in New York City with her husband, Jonathan, and their daughter, Electra.

Erika Bearman ’03
Erika Bearman ’03, a consultant in communications and branding.

Q&A

Micaela: What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Erika: Oscar (de la Renta) was such a defining presence in my adult life. Professionally, personally, everything. When I came to work for him I was in my mid-twenties. I had some experience in the industry, but I very much felt I should sort of ‘speak when spoken to’ in his presence. In the early days of my taking over the communications department, I remember Oscar said to me, “come over here, don’t stand against the wall.” It was like a lightbulb moment for me. For some reason I thought I needed to be invisible, especially around those more experienced than me. Don’t stand against the wall. That was the best advice. Oscar gave me the confidence to stand in the center of the room, and that really changed everything for me.

Micaela: What life skill do you think is of utmost importance for young women/people who are starting their careers?
Erika: I think to be successful you have to have a thick skin. You really have to be quite tough, actually. You have to learn not to take things personally. You have to be prepared to be wrong. I think you also have to learn not to gossip. That’s a girl’s game. It holds women back. The ones you gossip with will be the ones to talk about you, I can promise you.

Micaela: What lesson do you wish you had known in the beginning of your career?
Erika: I wish I wrote everything down. All the stories, lessons learned, the beautiful small things. Nothing lasts forever. You think you will remember everything, but you don’t.

Micaela: What is the one thing you should never do in an interview?
Erika: Don’t wear flats.

Micaela: If you could work with anyone, who would it be?
Erika: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.

Micaela: Advice to millennials and Generation Z?
Erika: Build your relationships IRL. Send thank-you letters.

Micaela: What word should you never say in the office place?
Erika: Tired. Tell your mom, tell someone else.