Micaela English ’08 Interviews Role Model Carolyn Risoli ’86

Fashion and luxury industry veteran Carolyn Risoli ’86, the 2018 honoree of the Holy Cross Leadership Council of New York annual fundraising dinner, shares career and life advice with digital and social media strategist Micaela English ’08. Both women are actively engaged in the Holy Cross alumni network in NYC. 

Carolyn Risoli ’86, the 2018 honoree of the Holy Cross Leadership Council of New York annual fundraising dinner.

Q&A

Micaela: What has been the breakout moment in your career thus far?
Carolyn: Hmmm … I think I am still waiting for this one!  It has been a lot less about the breakout moment and more of a culmination of work that has been seen as successful.

Micaela: What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Carolyn: Well besides my two amazing kids (Alex and Olivia), it is most definitely the incredible associates whom I have had the pleasure to mentor and support. I am filled with immense satisfaction to see their success. To be really blunt, I have had the chance to lead some of the most fabulous, kick-ass women (and some pretty great men).

Micaela: What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Carolyn: Don’t take it personally.

Micaela: What lesson do you wish you had known at the beginning of your career?
Carolyn: Ahh … perspective and taking care of yourself. I wish I had the perspective to know how to handle some of the bad behavior — even though I found fashion to be a great industry as a young woman.

Micaela: How has the fashion industry changed from when you started to now?
Carolyn: With the changes in technology, our ability to communicate with partners worldwide has changed dramatically.  A product can be conceived and reach the consumer in a much shorter time. I can remember running up to the telex room and begging the telex operator to type my messages first so that our factory across the world could respond a day later. When you went to a fashion show it took months before anyone would see the clothes publicly. Now the clothes are knocked off before you leave the show! … It did feel exciting to wait for something fabulous.

Micaela: What life skill do you think is of utmost importance for young people who are starting their careers?
Carolyn: Judgment and integrity. As Mark Twain said: “It is never wrong to do the right thing.” I also think adaptability is crucial — this is where liberal arts educated people have the leg up.

Micaela: Any industries that you think young women should be looking into for careers?
Carolyn: Uhh … fashion! It is a great industry where women can achieve based on their accomplishments and not be held back by their gender. When I started working in the ’80s, I did not feel judged by my gender where my friends were facing different issues in banking and law. Industries all over are opening up for women and people of all colors, shapes, and sizes. We are moving towards a world where the best person for the job will get it and be successful.

Micaela: What lesson do you wish you had known in the beginning of your career?
Carolyn: Perspective. I wish I had not sweat some of what I did; and had enjoyed how great it was. We were always worried!

Micaela: What is the one thing you should never do in an interview?
Carolyn: Besides, wear a bad outfit? 😉  Be disingenuous.

Micaela: If you could work with anyone, who would it be?
Carolyn: I have worked with such great talent and am totally grateful for that — but a little spin with Coco Chanel would have been fun.

Micaela: Advice to millennials and Generation Z?
Carolyn: Continue to push forward with changes you want to see in the world but do allow for those with experience to guide and support you. There is a reason we say wisdom comes with age.

Micaela: What book do you think every young person needs to read?
Carolyn: Falling Upward. Great way to look at how you want to build your life.

Micaela: What is your favorite social media platform?
Carolyn: I personally try to stay off the grid and only engage in them professionally. But I would have to say Instagram. I am sure my kids are wincing about now.